Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Is your journey haunting you?

“Your journey back to birth…is haunting you, haunting you. Your departure from the earth…is haunting you, haunting you.”

It’s hard these days to find music that has insightful lyrics, so when I heard the above line from a CD I recently purchased I was a little surprised. These lyrics capture what I think is the question that haunts us all – what has my life been all about and how will it end?

I am certainly haunted by the journey that has been my life. Thinking back on what I’ve done, how I’ve spent my time, what I’ve made important…I realize how foolish I’ve been. To have been given so much and to have accomplished so little is a shame I almost cannot bear. I have lived solely for the sake of living. I’ve treated my life as the end rather than the means to a much greater end and in doing so have missed out on many opportunities to do something meaningful. The thought of what I could have done and should have done fills my heart with sorrow and regret.

And yes, I think about how my life will end. The thought of facing my God and my Savior with nothing more to show for the life I’ve been given! Such a precious gift in my hands and yet my accounting for its use will be sorely lacking. If I were to go home now…to my real home…that would be a trip filled with shame. I am not ready to explain what I have done, or rather what I have failed to do, with the opportunity given me. Oh yes…my “departure from the earth” is haunting me.

Just then, when I’m feeling pretty low, I hear a faint whisper from somewhere inside that reminds me - my life is not over yet. What am I going to do?

What are you going to do?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, what the crap? To deep for me..Actually it was very good.
Dean

Anonymous said...

Are you some kind of hippy?

Nick Riggs said...

LoL - He called you a hippy.

Nice post. I can’t comment on much of the main body of the post, just ponder it a bit in my own mind. But I will comment on the music with insightful and cleaver lyrics: Check out Jack Johnson, its smooth guitar with Jack delivering some pretty meaningful lines. Its in my morning music collection.

Jeremy Conner said...

I'm not a hippie...I'm one of those religious nuts.

Casey said...

I looked Jack on myspace. I like him.