Friday, February 24, 2006

I'm just curious...

How is it that a company called “NetZero” is charging money to access the Internet? When they first came out, they offered free Internet access – hence the name NetZero. You can get on the InterNET and pay ZERO to do so. Now they charge you money, but still kept their name. What the heck? Does this not seem like a foul? You’re not NetZero anymore if you don’t give me free Internet access…you’re Net999 because you charge me $9.99 per month to get Internet access. I guess they were hoping no one would notice. They were wrong.

Have you ever noticed that smokers seem to live in an alternate reality? They don’t seem to realize that they smell like a warehouse fire even though it’s blatantly obvious to everyone within 10 feet of them. Their mouth is like a breath mint graveyard (“where Certs go to die”)…yet they confidently draw close to you in conversations with no thought to the impression they are leaving. They throw cigarette butts out of their cars like it’s not against the law...it’s like they honestly don’t think that a cigarette butt is considered litter. They smoke in restaurants, and even though you can actually SEE the smoke drifting over into other people’s space, they just sit there with a look on their face that says “Nah, this ain’t bothering anyone else.”

Why aren’t lawyers allowed to make the claim that the quality of services they perform is better than the quality of services performed by other lawyers? They do these radio and TV commercials, but have to make this disclaimer…what’s the point of advertising if you can’t infer that you are better than your competition? Wouldn’t it be satisfyingly ironic if this restriction were due to the fear of being sued by someone?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never really thought about your middle article until just last week. Some friends of mine and Alli came into town and wanted to have dinner. At one point during dinner this guy said hey, I need to apologize for smelling so bad when I smoked. He said, I did not realize that I smelled like that until I quite and then smelled it on someone else...
Funny, but I don't think they do smell it on themselves and therefore think others don't smell it either..
Anyways, I guess the other two are just the nature of the beast, perhaps netzero now mean's, we charge you and you still get zero quailty in our service..

I think you maybe right about the lawyers, perhaps they are afraid of being sued and therefore make that statement...
Good post... I like them.
Dean

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeremy! You really should smile more. :-) Your posts crack me up. They simply reek of Jeremy...oops...bad adjective, okay, they are "so you" posts. whatever. Oh, and don't you just love how Dean came in under "Anonymous" then signed his name at the end? Awesome. ;-)

Jeremy Conner said...

I'm allergic to smiles!

Anonymous said...

I'm bored and you've trained me to seek contemporary diatribes on your blog.

Please post more often so I don't have to seek other forms of entertainment, which will probably be more demeaning and morally questionable than your cynical banter.

Thanks to you many times.