Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Kids wisdom

I'll have a regular, pessimistic, agitated, foul-mood inducing blog coming up later today or tomorrow, but I just had to share something that happened yesterday.

My 5 year old daughter shares my sweet tooth, and one thing we both love are "Icees" (those sugary frosty things that come in coke or wild cherry flavors).  I had mentioned to her that if she worked hard on her school work that morning that we'd get an "Icee" after lunch.

We were in the car driving to lunch and my wife and I were both grumbling about the cost of some car repairs that we were facing.  My daughter was in the back seat and wanted to know what we were talking about.  Actually, she was DEMANDING to know what we were so frustrated about...so I began explaining to her that sometimes mommy and daddy talk about things and we don't tell her on purpose.  I explained that often, the reason we don't tell her about them is because she's too young to understand what it is we are saying and why it's important.

"For example, mommy and I are talking about how much money we will have to spend to get daddy's car fixed.  It's a lot of money and we're not very happy that we'll have to spend money on my car that we would rather be spending on other things.  We have to get the car fixed so daddy can go to work, but it's going to take a WHOLE LOT of money to get it fixed.  We wished we could spend the money on other things, but we can't do that this time."

"Oh"

"Now, do you understand what mommy and daddy were talking about?  Do you know what this means?"

"Yeah", she said with a sigh..."it means I'm not getting an Icee today."

For the record, we still got "Icees"...coke flavor.

No comments: