Monday, March 13, 2006

Casserole: the ultimate food group

Casseroles rule because there isn’t anything that doesn’t taste better with cream of chicken and those little fried onions on top. There are lots of things I’ll eat in a casserole that I won’t eat by themselves…mostly vegetables, because I abhor vegetables and have to mask their true taste and texture with something else before digesting them.

I think a few foods have been saved from extinction by the casserole. Take squash for example - I just don’t see anyone slamming down a bunch of squash without first smothering it in stuff that actually tastes good. Who came up with the idea of calling it “squash” anyways? Sure does get my appetite going to hear that I’ll be eating something that’s been run over or stepped on by something. Zucchini and artichokes also fall into this category.

What’s really cool is that you can put shredded cheese on just about any casserole…and we all know the goodness that melted cheese brings. Anyone doubting the power of cheese needs look no further than the broccoli cheese merger. If you can take something like broccoli and get kids fired up about eating it, you have a genuine miracle worker on your hands. I mean, you’re basically eating a smelly shrub…broccoli looks like a bush pulled right up from your front yard and tastes like what you’d imagine an old shoe to taste like…and yet cheese can somehow make it all better. That’s good stuff right there.

Yeah...it's a slow news day and I'm talking about casserole.

I pilled "Tater Tot Ca erole" on my keyboard and now my letter " " key doe n't work...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really are a freak...However, I do agree with you about the whole cheese thing :)

Dean

Anonymous said...

Who couldn't resist cheese? It's the dairy version of chocolate...

-Clint